• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Suggestions for anorectic meds

Middleway

Ex-Bluelighter
I have been on Nardil for 6 months now and I have been steadily piling on the kgs. Even worse since I added 25mg of seraquil at night to help me sleep.
I have ditched the seraquil for melatonin but am still gaining weight.
I don't drink softdrinks, don't eat junk food. Its all good healthy stuff but I know I am eating larger servings. Usually of things like musli for breakfast and maybe an extra couple of slices of bread per day.
I used to take a lot of pleasure in denying myself when I was depressed. I was not anorexic by any means but it felt good to be able to ignore hunger and control my body.
Now I seem to be always hungry and when I eat I am never full.

Please don't suggest I change meds I have been on 50 other drugs and this is the only one that gives me quality of life.
I chew heaps of nicotine gum for the added mood boost and I use no doze as well to fight the fatigue I get from the meds.
I am a qualified fitness instructor so I am aware of diet and exercise. Honestly I am having trouble with exercise intolerence and motivation. Nardil has got rid of the something inside me that really made me push hard.
I am hoping that something that killed my appitite might give me an energy boost to get me out there training again.
I miss dexies for that, I was almost 15kg lighter when I was on them. Thinking about approaching a doctor to see if I can augment a low dose with the MAOI.
Or maybe T3, do you think that could help?
Thanks

Phentermine, Mazindol work. A good dose of MDPV is a rather strong anorectic and is available in the gray market. Other than that, perhaps the methyphenidate patch or focalin XR...........

Hoodia and Zotrim are OTC's that supposedly are decent anorectics but I cannot confirm the validity....

I'm happy that phenelzine is proving effective for you.

I have no idea if this'll have some kind of MAOI interaction, but I have seen hCG be hugely effective as an anorexant and stimulant. It's pricey and you must get it from a reliable source (there's a lot of bad batches out there), and you'd have to be able to keep syringes.

Maybe you're eating too much carbs. Insulin spikes from carbohydrates can make some people get constantly hungry.

Its a tricky situation because you are taking an MAOI which REALLY limits the types of meds you can take as an anoretic. Typically, stimulants are very effective anoretics, but with the MAOI, there are very few (if any) stimulants which you can safely combine with your MAOI.

I would approach your doc and be honest with him. Tell him the Nardil has been a life-saver for you and that you will not go off of it, but that you need something safe to take to deal with the weight gain issues. Im confident there is something out there for you. It might not be as effective as a proper stimulant like dex, but I know there are things out there which will at least help. good luck-DG

Phentermine, Mazindol work. A good dose of MDPV is a rather strong anorectic and is available in the gray market. Other than that, perhaps the methyphenidate patch or focalin XR...........

Hoodia and Zotrim are OTC's that supposedly are decent anorectics but I cannot confirm the validity....

MDPV, even at 5mg a day would never allow her to sleep! It's also pretty damn bad for you.

how is mdpv bad for you? its seems to be very benign compared to other stims

same as desoxypipradrol which would be better choice since its been in human tests. 1-2mg for first week or two and then stabilize to 3-4mg. dose when you wake up.

ps: you could try orlistat (brand Xenical )

"At the standard prescription dose of 120 mg three times daily before meals, orlistat prevents approximately 30% of dietary fat from being absorbed"
so less carbs and more fat and some orlistat and voila you are skinny as hell ;)

why use such drugs when there are safer options available ?

btw: how much do you work out ?

Why does seemingly every authoritative source say that hCG is an ineffective way of achieving weight loss? I have seen hundreds of men and women lose significant amounts of fat and make lasting lifestyle changes because of an IM hCG regimen. This includes psychiatric patients on orexant regimens. Am I hallucinating?

oh. didnt notice the MAOIs sorry. didnt really read. Yeah dont take speed, youll die

Maybe metformin will work for you. Also i've read that topiramate have anorectic properties, although I think it has some nasty effects on memory and I don't know how it would interact with MAOi since I don't remember its mechanism of action.
and of course there's xenical, but it won't supress your apetite... and if you dare to eat something greasy, you'll have to start using double underwear.

Thanks guys, I am probably not getting enough exercise and I am always bloody hungry so that doesn't help. Have gotten serious about my diet and I am going to try to get going with exercise.. I used to train but now on the nardil I just don't seem to have the drive I once did.
I will try some cromium picolate to even out the blood sugar and maybe get rid of the carb cravings.
Do you think thyroid hormone could help?
Thanks

i actually lost about 10 pounds chewing nicotine gum. it works. walgreens brand.

I chew heaps of nicotine gum, hooked on it for about a year now.
I am starting to get concerned, I have definetly put on fat but there appears to be a lot of abdoninal distention going on. Heaps of flatulence and constipation as well, can't get my bowels regular no matter what I do. But my guts are huge. Never ever been like this before, it is so unsightly.
What do I do? This is the only medication that has let me live a normal life yet these side effects are so extreme, :(

The best weight loss drug I know is the worse for the wallet: freebase cocaine.

The whole anorectic drug label began to fall out of fashion mid 20th century. Phentermine actually induces schizotypy worse than amp, and it's less abusable.

The physicians desk reference monograph also clearly states that anorectic drugs are associated with a statistically significant reduction in mean weight over a five week period but that the amount of this weight loss is only fractions of a pound.

I think your other prescription meds are making you gain weight, and that any anorectic, especially crack cocaine, would cause more detrimental side effects than beneficial weight loss.

Last edited:
I am starting to get concerned, I have definetly put on fat but there appears to be a lot of abdoninal distention going on. Heaps of flatulence and constipation as well, can't get my bowels regular no matter what I do.

Have you tried large doses of vitamin C? As in 5-7 grams or so, possibly even more. It should turn your bowels to liquid and evacuate them within an hour. Its very benign even in large doses, so this might be an option to consider.